The History of our Church
The Flat Rock Pentecostal Holiness Church was organized on October 15, 1923 by the Rev. H.V. Dempsey, pastor at that time of the Mount Airy Pentecostal Holiness Church located on Durham Street. The organization took place in the home of Curtis Blackmon. There were six charter members - Mr. & Mrs. William Branch, Mr. & Mrs. Curtis Blackmon, Mrs. Mitch (Essie) Timmons, and Mrs. Edna Davis. This comprised the total membership for sometime.
A meeting place was secured in an old rundown and planked-up building near what is now known as the Belton Road. In late 1925 and early 1926, Curtis Blackmon purchased property on both sides of the street now known as Pentecostal Holiness Church Road. On the Northeast side of the street, he built a home; on the Southwest side of the street, he donated property for the Pentecostal Holiness Church. Curtis Blackmon was a humble but determined and God fearing man. The church was built largely by his efforts and did prosper.
The present church structure was built during the pastorate of Dr. Jack Goodson in 1968.